|Photo taken at the Abita Mystery House|
I’m giving up social media for Lent. I’m not religious but every few years I feel the need to give something up. Last year it was alcohol, this year i’m giving Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. The longest I’ve made it without jumping to check every ping and bleep my phone makes is a handful of days, so my 40 day digital detox will prove to be a challenge.
- battling boredom while waiting in lines (grocery store, bank, etc…)
- feeling like I’m missing out on special moments that friends and family might be sharing
- temptation to scroll through personal feeds when I need to log on for legitimate, work related reasons
- potentially feel as though I’ve lost connections with colleagues
- more free time
- mental clarity- won’t feel fatigued since I won’t be constantly bombarded with information
- less distractions- better grades in school
- more productive downtime; reading a book for pleasure instead of mindlessly scrolling through feeds
- hopefully break the cycle of mindless scrolling so when I do go back, browsing will feel more purposeful
I’ll let y’all know how this goes.
Twitter: slowsouthstyle Facebook: Slow Southern Style